Connect with me


View Raymond Chip Lambert's profile on LinkedIn View Raymond Chip Lambert's profile on MySpace

View Raymond Chip Lambert's profile on Facebook Follow me on Twitter

BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

It's part sales, part marketing, part branding, part market research and development.

But most of all, it's an art whose masters have made millions.

Join me as we explore this conversation

So Many Sources . . .

I met today with one of my students who has been in his industry for decades. He said something that I found intensely interesting - he was so confused and suprised about how he was getting business. He recently brought on a younger associate who was flyering and was getting business that way. "I thought that was long dead" he said to me.

It got me thinking - how many of you are confused and surprised about where your business comes from? How many of you are so busy trying to get business that you've forgotten to really look and see where your business really comes from?

We spent about a half hour really looking and came up with the following assessment:

General marketing - flyering, direct mail
Telemarketing
Referrals from past clients
Referrals from a specific set of industry partners

I asked him what his strategy was with each and he looked at me blankly. "What do you mean?" I just do whatever comes my way (not an exact quote - just the gist).

Sound familiar?

Imagine what could happen to your bottom line if you put some thought into your general marketing strategy - what tactics actually produce results? And are those tactics habituated or are they only there when you get to them? How could you systematize those strategies that work?

Do you consistently touch base with your past clients and offer them something of value? Are you at the top of their mind when they need what you sell? If not, why not? What could you do to habituate consistent past client follow up? What patterns could you put in place in your daily routine? And are you asking for referrals to people like them? Do they know that you grow your buisness by referrals? Or are you functioning under the hope that because you did such a good job that they are going to refer you in the future? Face it - if you don't keep yourself in front of these folks, they forget you - they have lives of their own with problems that crop up every day. They aren't thinking about you. You have to be thinking of them.

Have you identified key industry partners who could be referring you because you are a natural complement to what they offer? Have you considered how you could make them look good? Have you approached them to propose an alliance? Think about the impact of habituating contact with these folks - a steady stream of referrals to your perfect client.

Getting business is not hard. Getting good business is even easier. But you have to step out of the day to day operations of your enterpise and examine what you are doing in order to tap into the opportuinties that are right under your nose.

There's an old saying in the insurance industry "That worked so well we stopped doing it." What have you stopped doing that gets you the kind of buisness you really want?


1 comments:

  1. Unknown said...
     

    Networking is Crucial in this Real Estate Market

    I have noticed that people in my industry, the real estate industry, are walking around in a shell shocked state. What happened to the market? Some had never seen a residential market like this one. They call it a bad market;I have taken a different approach, this is a market of opportunity!

    Networking is mandatory for success. The agents who are succeeding have relied and are relying on whom they know for information or referrals. These same agents have realized that networking is not an immediate solution but instead an investment for the future.

    Here is some things I do to continue in my success:
    1.Follow-Up

    2. Acknowledge "gifts" given to me as well as leads, ideas, advice and time.

    3.Stay contact with my family and friends and keep them in the "loop" about what I am doing.

    4. If something of interest catches my attention that may be important to my clients or family, I send it along.

    5. I treat people with respect, courtesy, integrity, truth and honor.

    6. I reciprocate my referrals.

    7. I make it easy to work with me.

    8.I embrace people, not just the "right" people.

    9. I listen.

    10. Most of all, I have fun and laugh.

    Continue to network,take a friend to lunch, lend a helping hand, establish deep relationships for the future.

    Happy Trails,
    Catherine Kolodin
    Realty Executives on Central

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent

Copyright 2008 - Network 2 Networth, LLC - All Rights Reserved

Reuse Permitted with electronic Trackbacks