Connect with me


View Raymond Chip Lambert's profile on LinkedIn View Raymond Chip Lambert's profile on MySpace

View Raymond Chip Lambert's profile on Facebook Follow me on Twitter

BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

It's part sales, part marketing, part branding, part market research and development.

But most of all, it's an art whose masters have made millions.

Join me as we explore this conversation

A Big Mistake in a Social Media

received a message in my LinkedIn Inbox today from someone who says they are an expert in Sales, Marketing, and Advertising.

Except I didn't ask for it. In fact, I'd never really indicated any interest in him or what he does. We had connected via LinkedIn. Except he never cultivated any kind of relationship with me.

I may have had an interest. I may have even been a good partner for what he does.

But because he never took the time to really get to know me, I disconnected from him and sent an email explaining myself.

His email read as follows:

Thought this dynamic event might be of interest to you.
Hope all is well and you're staying booked! I am taking a moment to write you personally to tell you about an incredible program coming up here in Atlanta with myself, Fred G. . ., and Matt B . . . This is a superstar lineup of master marketers.
It's all about product development and information marketing. Please check it out. (his website) If you are interested we're accepting only 80 students. Please help us to spread the word and help us get people involved. I wanted to send you and a few of my friends this personal, one-on-one note before we mass marketed the event. Please take a look at the website, its beyond your wildest expectations.
Hope everything is good and prosperous for you.

No personal greeting. A thinly veiled attempt at cordiality. A request for me to promote him and his stuff. A thinly veiled offer with an impending event - standard sales letter stuff.

And he expected me to be interested? And to help him. I don't really know this guy.

My response was a follows:

XXX,
I've removed you from my connections for the inappropriate use of this platform.
Sorry that you've misunderstood my willingness to connect.
Chip

Do yourself a favor. Remember that the people you are connecting with are just that - people. If you want them to opt-in to receive your marketing, have them do that. Make them an offer. Make it attractive. Give them lots of value. But have them opt-in.

If you want them to help you - contact them personally. Ask for their help. See if it is appropriate for them to participate with you. Remember that this is a SOCIAL media.

Old time shotgun marketing doesn't work in a SOCIAL context. It just pisses people off.

And you could be shooting yourself in the foot and damaging relationships than can really make a difference for you, your partners, and your potential clients.

Raymond Chip Lambert
Network 2 Networth
Deep Business Development

Share this post :

4 comments:

  1. Daegan said...
     

    I disagree. Although you may have been pissed off I'm sure thousands of others jumped on his free event and it was a great success for him and his company. Ideally a one to one relationship is the right way to go, but when you are communicating in leverage with potentially millions it's just not possible. I think you just gotta be pragmatic and understand the situation and choose to ignore messages that strike a chord with you. No need to get upset over it all.

    To the top,
    Daegan

  2. Unknown said...
     

    Chip,

    I wanted to take a quick moment and comment regarding your most recent blog entry: AWESOME.

    I’ve gotten unsolicited material myself and think ‘who are these people’ and would concur on your resolution.

    Additionally, I have booted a few connections myself for the same reason – great minds think alike.

    All the best,

    Michael Prahl

  3. Raymond Chip Lambert said...
     

    Daegan -

    You are a traditional marketer - I looked at your site.

    This is not about it not applying to me. This is about Terms of Service and relationships. That, to me is what social mediat is about.

    I didn't agree to be on his list. I agreed to connect with him.

    I'm not interested in getting this kind of stuff through my social network.

    That's part of the problem. And frankly - it can get you shut out of services like LinkedIn if you are not careful and find someone particularly cantankerous (which I'm not).

    The right medium - the right message. This isn't about shotgun. And people who use social media know that and treat people who abuse those social mores accordingly.

    Just my opinion -

    Raymond Chip Lambert

  4. Unknown said...
     

    Chip,

    I just found your post by pure accident - and found it to be pure gold and wisdom!

    I think what you described is a great example of "big marketing gurus" who teach people how to "attract more business", but who themselves use high-pressure, salesy tactics to pitch their products and services.

    Thanks for putting in words what's been bugging me for years!

    Smiles,

    Adam Urbanski

Post a Comment



 

different paths

college campus lawn

wires in front of sky

aerial perspective

clouds

clouds over the highway

The Poultney Inn

apartment for rent

Copyright 2008 - Network 2 Networth, LLC - All Rights Reserved

Reuse Permitted with electronic Trackbacks